Brothers and Pets
My son Kirin is a great writer. I've enjoyed many of his insightful and descriptive writings. I think that he often feels cheated to be the only boy in the family. He endures his solitary status with some occasional outbursts of frustration. Every so often, he asks for a pet. He does it so very solemnly, very low-key. But because he asks so submissively, my heart aches a little every time I say no to him.
He recently wrote this little thing about summer with pictures to match the writing.
"Summer is a perfect season to go swimming at an outdoor pool. Summer is a time to go to the beach. A time to pick berries and a day to go to parties. It is also a good time to play sports, play outside and to go bike riding. Perfect day to buy a pet for the season."
I happened to believe that by the time an idea made its way to the paper, the author would have thought about it several times over already. That getting a pet for the summer made it to Kirin's paper probably means that the idea has never left his mind at all...
Our neighbor who has a daughter and a son is expecting a baby boy in the fall. With that news, he almost cried and muttered that he is the only boy he knows without a brother.
Today, as he was getting into the car after being picked up from a buddy's house, he stated that he did not want to come home.
"I want to stay at Thomas' house for 3 million more hours."
"I want to stay at Thomas' house for 3 million more hours."
"Oh, you can't. You live at our house."
"But if I stay at Thomas' house, then I would have a brother."
I've heard more experienced parents said that there comes to a time when you realize that you can't do anything for your children. I can't really remember when I have felt that way. This might just be my first.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Kirin can come and live at our house. We have plenty of both to go around.
You should consider getting him a pet. Pets are very good for boys, for the whole family in my opinion. How about a little, adorable puppy. We love ours!
It just breaks my heart when I can't fix my children's sadnesses. Audrey asks for a pet almost every day. I really dislike animals. We got her a fish. That's helped a bit. I keep telling her, when she's 18 and has her own apt. she can have all the pets she wants. Who knows, she may wear me down some day.
Post a Comment