Some Sage-ful thought

I am up early nowadays making breakfast for a middle schooler and catching a moment of conversation with her before she goes out the door to catch the morning bus. 


There is nothing about waking up early that I like, but I do like my daughter to know I care enough about her to wake up with her.  And I don't want her to wake up to a dark house and have to eat cold cereal by herself. 


There was nothing I liked about waking up early, until I noticed a repeated pattern happening every morning in my house. There I am in the kitchen half awake making breakfast, sometimes talking to Jade quietly, when I hear a pair of little feet going "stomp", "stomp", "stomp" down the stairs. Listening to the sound, I know those little feet are not walking, they are sliding to the edge of each step and then hopping down lightly to the next. Then I will look up in anticipation, until I see a pink-faced, bright-smiled little girl peek her head out from where the stairs disappear behind the wall. 


Our eyes find each other.


Then she always says with a burst of laugher: "MOM-mmee, I am awake!"


Oh, yes she is. Then she hops down the rest of the stairs and runs to me for a tight squeeze and a fresh morning kiss. 
How I love my baby Sage.


I tell her so, that she is my baby. To this, she looks at me straight faced and says to me very solemnly: "I've grown up. I am a child."


I look at her, and I know she is right. 


The other day I took her to a fast food place to meet a friend (gosh darn me, after my previous post I still dare to feed her fast food), and she was playing in the play place and was trying to solve some issue about a child not willing to share. Not successfully.  She turned around, surveying the moms who were sitting nearby, and announced with gusto: "I need a mommy now!"


She is in Sunbeams this year. I get to see all of my kids on Sundays in primary. I cherish that. But inside I am feeling like an empty nester.


I heard her saying this to her teacher in sharing time:
"After she (the girl giving a talk) is done, is it my turn?"
"No."
Sigh. "I am so beautiful."


Sage- She is an old soul trapped in a small body.


My quiet morning with Jade quickly vanishes with Sage greeting the world with unceasing chattering and questioning until my ears are full of her little voice. I beg: "Can you please stop talking for a minute?"
Yet, she talks and talks and talks...


I know she will grow out of that eventually, she will want to talk more to her friends on the phone than to me. But for now, I am thankful I am still the first person she wants to see first thing every morning. And to tell you the truth, she has a wonderfully cute voice even if it does hurt my ear and my nerves.

6 comments:

Stan said...

You are such a great mother. I can tell that you are trying to enjoy every little moment with your children. What a blessing to be able to stay at home with your children and have those sweet hugs and kisses in the morning. Being at the crossroads in our childrens lives is so important.

Britanee Walker said...

you're so great to get up early like that every morning! aspen used to say that same thing to us in primary but it was more like asking if she was beautiful. i remember always smiling & then saying, "yes aspen, absolutely beautiful. you always are." your kids are so cute!

tylerandmommy said...

What a nice mom to get up with your daughter and made her breakfast. I know someday I am going to be that oh do I have to get up mom but I will do it anyway. And Sage is definitely a smart and funny little girl. I understand the talking and never stopping...I have one of those also.

Jill said...

I'm glad you're enjoying those sweet little moments. They are truly what matter.

My favorite story was the one at the fast food place. I think sometimes we all feel like we just need a mommy! Mommies are the best! (I'm not just saying that because I am one.)

Anie said...

This post cracked me up!I Those comments from primary are hilarious! That's why I NEED to be in primary- to hear Sage and get a good laugh every now and then! Don't worry, you're not alone in wishing your child didn't talk so much and so loud! :)

Jim said...

Thank you for sharing a glimps into your life and the lives of your daughters. We think they are beautiful.

My Blog List