The Princess and the Pauper


Sage got this DVD as a Christmas present. She loves it as expected. And so do her older sisters (not expected). Since the first premiere of this DVD in my house, it has been played over and over quite a few times with my two older girls singing at the top of their lungs,
with the movie,
after the movie,
and all the rest of the day.
And even on days when this movie is not watched.
(Note: This is a musical. And Barbie's first.)

I asked my 11 year old Jade why she likes this Barbie movie in particular, to which she replies excitedly: "This movie has a twist to it." ...Apparently she has not been exposed to too many movies.

The other day, the kids asked to watch a movie, and all the girls again requested this one. I looked at the girls and then Kirin who was sitting quietly by me and decided to put my foot down for him. I told the girls they have been watching too much of this one movie and they must let their brother Kirin decide what to watch. After a few protests and whining by the girls, Kirin stepped in to the DVD shelf and started looking through our selections. A moment later, he turned to me and said: "Mom, I don't really care what they watch."  You mean, you don't mind if they want to watch "The princess and the pauper" again? "No, I don't care."

So the girls got their way. Kirin sat by them quietly and watched the whole thing again for the nth time.

The next night, while the girls were upstairs getting ready for bed, Kirin was finishing up his project in the living room alone when we heard faint singing coming from him:

"I close my eyes and feel myself fly a thousand miles away
I could take flight but would it be right, my conscience tells me stay.
I'll remine forever royal, I'll repay my parents' debt
Duty means doing the things your heart may well regret..."

Aspen turned to Jade and said, "Listen sister, Kirin is singing from the movie."
Jade said: "Shh, don't say anything, don't make fun of him."
Andrew just shook his head.
I thought it was kinda charming. But couldn't help worry just a little.

Then the next day, he finished making one of this all by himself.




















All is well again.

7 comments:

Britanee Walker said...

that is so funny! kirin's such a nice brother :) that movie was the #1 choice for all the little girls at our dental office. i heard those songs at least 1x day. all of us dental assistants could sing along to them. quite pathetic but it's not a bad movie!

Jill said...

Reading this blog post was the weirdest thing! The boys got CD players for Christmas and all we've heard for days is the soundtrack to this VERY Barbie movie! It was playing as I clicked on your blog. And if that wasn't strange enough, the song you quoted was playing and as I was reading the words on your blog, the same words are floating out of the boy's room.
Mike did not want me to tell you that the boys have been listening to only this CD since we unwraped the players.
Truth be told, even I think the words are a bit catchy!

Stan said...

I'm going to have to rent this one for Katie Marie my grand-daughter to watch with me (maybe Joshua & Jacob will too). Kirin is such a good brother.

The Herd Mom said...

I hope you don't think I'm totally rude because I haven't called you. By the time I'm free, it always seems like it's too late at night. So hey, I'm thinking of you guys anyway.

My girls are always singing some song from one movie or another. We do not have this one, but it sounds like it would be a hit if we had it. I wish we could get the kids together. :(

Kendall and Melissa said...

Kids are so funny. Talmage had become quite the singer too. It always makes me smile. Today he was singing "I am a Child of God" on the way home from church and then he said "Mom, my name is not Child of God, it is Talmage!" Funny little kids.

Marriage matters said...

My kids all love this movie so much too that I bought the CD soundtrack. Now they can sing those songs while cleaning their rooms and re live the movie over and over. . .goodie.

Unknown said...

Cute! My girls love that movie too. I actually bought the soundtrack for them so they could listen to it in their room.

My Blog List