The Fantastic 4
Seriously, you didn't really think I was gonna talk about those 4, when I have THESE 4!!
******************************************************
Jade 馥寧
We wanted a name that represented part of her heritage. She was the most beautiful baby I've ever seen.As a baby, Jade never cried. When I say that, I really mean never. My sister flew over to Taiwan to see her first niece and suggested Jade might be a mute. Now 11 years later, I can tell you she is definitely not a mute. She has sure made up for the silence of the first 2 years of her life.
Jade is an overachiever, a perfectionist. She possesses the gift of understanding. She has a fairly grounded self-concept. She is quiet, but strong. She has an eye for beauty. She internalizes everything. She enjoys writing and has already developed a distinct voice in her writing style.
Aspen 馥娓
She was my only baby that ever got chubby. As a baby, Aspen would only sleep if you put her on top of your stomach.
Aspen has beautiful almond eyes. Artistic, creative, a natural comedian. She aims to please. She is tender-hearted. A free spirit. Aspen has strong emotions. She puts on the best shows and her siblings are enchanted by her storytelling. She is sure to be clever in the kitchen. My Aspen has many unassuming but virtuous gifts.
Kirin 麒麟/復宇
Kirin is just an impressive kid. If you give him a list of things to do vocally, he can finish the task without forgetting. He is always building something, when he was 3, he built a structure made out of blocks and built a little something to set up a rolling pin in there and told me if he was to pour water in the "canal", the pin should roll and cause this device on the lower bottom structure to do something else - cause and effect. I was blown away by his logic and quickly got on the internet to show him what an actual water wheel looks like and what people use them for. He thought that was pretty cool for about 2 minutes.
Kirin knows practically everything about space, and if you think you know something, you'll probably find he'll correct you on a number of points. He also is already a great writer. Kirin is intense. Most of the time I don't remember he is only 6. But sometimes he is cuddly and sweet and that's when I remember. I think growing up with only sisters will help him develop the sensitivity he needs to be a good husband. He speaks Chinese with the thickest American accent of all my kids. It's fun to listen to. I heart this nerdy boy.
Sage 馥潔
I thought for sure she would be a boy, I thought that God and I had an agreement.
She was the only baby I was able to have from pregnancy to delivery and beyond with complete peace, serenity and support. And the only baby I got to hold for as long as my heart's content.
We had wanted to give Sage a water name to complete our Feng-Shui. But between Mississippi, Amazon, Yellow River, Yangzi River and the Nile, we settled on Sage. That was how we ended up with a stone, a tree, an animal and a little bush.
That Sage, I wouldn't trade her for any money in the world. She said to me just today: "Mom, can you peel this clementine for me? I am too lazy." Sage says it like it is. Granted, she is only 3 but I sure hope she doesn't change it. Sage is a singer and knows how to play your heart. She is obsessed with hair. Before going to bed, she has to grab a bunch of my hair and put the tip of it in her ear for soothing purposes... Go figure.
A few weeks ago when we were having our cuddling time, I kissed her all over and said: "Sage, I don't want to share you." To this she said: "Is it because I am not a toy?"
As I am writing this, I come to realize how much of me are in my kids. I've always thought they are so much like Andrew. I hope they are not too much like me though, I hope they are able to perfect my weaknesses and make them into strengths for their benefit.
--
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
What a beautiful post!! I loved getting to know your sweet children better. They were so cute and cheerful at Thanksgiving. I remember how impressed I was with Jade and Aspen when I first met you guys. Jade had these long lashes and a dreamy sort of beauty, and Aspen this spunky confidence. They were probably 4 and 2 at the time? I think they all got the best of you and Andrew. Lucky kids! Lucky you!
chaoyi - this is beautiful! i love know how you named each of your kids and how special for them to be able to see one day what you wrote about them.
i meant to say knowing...i love knowing how you named each of them.
i love that you explained how you decided on each child's name and the meaning behind them. when i first met aspen, she instantly touched my heart. i remember that she was the one who knew as much as everyone else but wasn't so loud about it :) she always wanted to sit on my lap and asked every sunday if i liked her dress. i still think about her and can't help but smile :)
btw, that is my sister in the pictures. she just went through a divorce and is now living with us. she brought a date to the cousin bowling event.
Those are some amazing kids. :) You did good momma.
Holy cow, I miss them. When did Jade get braces?!
They are so cute!!! I miss you all so much!! I have a blog too. But i am better on facebook!!! How are you?? Love you all!
You really do have the most beautiful and intelligent children. They are going to great things in the world. I just know it. I really liked this post, especially knowing the meaning behind your kids names. I never knew about Kirin, but I like it. I think you should have one more kid to complete you Feng-Shui. :-)
I love that you recorded all of these memories and information for your kids. They really are great kids. And they have so much of all that is GOOD in you!!
Such a sweet post!! I'm SUPER excited for Jade to move up to Young Women's!! Oh, the FUN she's gonna have- just you wait!! :)
Such a nice post about 4 wonderful children. I loved the pictures you took. You are such a great mother. You do what's most important in life.
What a nice post! I love it. I feel like I don't really know your kids as well as I should since I've been away for so long. And now you are even further away than I am. I can't believe how grown-up Jade is. Crazy girl. She's turning into a woman. You are going to have a little woman in your family!! Does that make you old? haha. just kidding. :)
This was so sweet to read, and what cute pictures! I love that Sage-ism... I don't want to share you... "Is it because I'm not a toy?" So darling. Your kids are very adorable.
You are a great writer! I can see where your kids get all their amazing talents and fun personality. (I am sure it is from Andrew too:) I love the pictures too, who took them? I love your kids!
Post a Comment