Food War
I served up a plate of sauteed snow peas, baby bella mushrooms, hot steamed rice, and some nice looking chicken with beautiful dark brown color on both sides.
Kirin took a look and whined: "Awww, why do we always have to eat vegetables and meat, and other things. Can we eat something else like chicken nuggets? I CRRRAVVE them SO BAD! We haven't had them in like FOREVER"
Sage chimed in: "Yeah, I LOOOVVE chicken nuggets. Why can't we have chicken nuggets instead?"
Next day, we were eating dinner, and Sage gave me a stern look and said: "I wish we can eat Ramen noodles, those are so delicious. You never let us eat them!" (I wish I recorded the way she said it so you get the full drama.) She added: " You don't let us eat peanut butter and jelly pocket for school lunch either. Brook and Lauren and Nick all eat them, and it looked soooo good."
On some mornings, when Kirin gets in one of those mood, he would begs for boxed mac'n cheese for breakfast, and I often don't have them. Then he'd asks me to run a mac'n cheese errand to the store after he goes to school. And if I happen to serve them remotely healthy snacks after school, I hear complaints all night long, and how hungry they all still are for such things like Nutella or Fondue or ice cream.
Tonight while smoothing out her stomach and waist, Jade said: "Your cooking is terrible." I stared at her with wide eyes in disbelief of what she just said. Then she corrected herself by explaining: "Too much good cooking, it's a terrible thing for me."
I can't win, you know. No matter what I cook, they wish I give them boxed food, or that I don't cook so well so they don't eat so much.
Just now, Kirin is sitting next to me with his feet by a space heater and a blanket over his lap, preparing to read Calvin and Hobbes. He just now said: "Mom, this is perfect like this, now all I need is a sandwich and a can of soda. Huh, what do ya think, want to get me those?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
We have a challenging food culture in this country. It's really terrible and as a mom we fight an uphill battle. Just remember that they may complain now, but one day they will thank you. Don't give up!
This cracks me up! Your kids don't realize how good they have it...I'll come and eat that delicious food you are making :)
Yes cook for me, I'll eat anything as long as I don't have to cook it! :)
haha I will eat ALL of your healthy snacks and so will Dean. Come live at my house!
Mmm.. I'd love to learn how to make some of your delicious meals! Just wait 'till they're off at college and all you hear is how they wish you were there cooking for them !
This sounds so familiar. We do have mac and cheese and PB&J and chicken nuggets and everyone still complains.
Post a Comment