Queen Sage

I took Jade to General Young Women's broadcast and left Andrew home fending for himself with the rest of the kids.


He heated up some leftovers for dinner, and Sage protested by flipping her plate upside down on the dinner table, and said: I WILL NOT EAT THIS FOOD.

Andrew told her that she can just go to bed if she didn't want to eat. So she went stomp, stomp, stomp up to her room and slammed the door. From the kitchen, Andrew and the other kids could hear her screaming, yelling, and kicking the walls and floor. A few minutes later, she opened the door and yelled: I WOULD NOT DO THIS IF I WERE YOU! I AM GONNA TELL MOM WHEN SHE GETS HOME!!!

Thankfully, Sage always comes around after throwing such fits, and after sensing she is not ever gonna get it her way, especially when dealing with her dad, she ate her leftovers.

Sage turned 6 on Saint Patrick's Day. She spent the prior 2 weeks planning her birthday which consisted of changing her mind every 3 minutes. One day, she was in one of her merry moods, and she sang at the top of her lungs:
For my birthday, i am gonna have breakfast with my friends. We are gonna have gumballs and cheese balls.

Sage often makes up her own songs, sometimes she sings instead of converses. One day she was skipping about the living room singing: I wanna look at myself in the mirror, cause I am so lovely. She then sang and skipped her way into the bathroom to look in the mirror.

Sage really, I mean, REALLY loves to come snuggle with me on my bed after she wakes up in the mornings. Andrew has gone to work by then. Sage just hops on the bed, and squeezes very, very tight next to me, puts her head on MY pillow with me, and does not try very hard to not squirm.

One morning, she was squirming so much, that I gave up on sleeping all together, so I just put my mouth into her ear, and sang: You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when clouds are gray. Oh, you'll never know dear, how much I love you, so please don't take my sunshine away.

Sage really loves songs, and singing. As soon as she realized I was singing, she went from being very squirmy to laying very, very still. I could hardly believe she could actually manage that. So I kept on singing until I finished the song. She immediately requested I sing again, and by the third time, she was singing along with me. Now, this song is our most beloved song together as mother and daughter.

I shared this story with Andrew at the dinner table and called Sage my sunshine. Jade then protested why I didn't sing this song to her and call her Sunshine when she was little. As I was pondering how to answer, Andrew said: "It's all about personality." I knew he was right on. I cannot imagine Sage being born in the old China, where girls don't have a voice, can't speak their mind, or have to be subjected to the cruelty of feet binding. She would never have survived that. Sage really has a sparkling personality. And she is only so happy because she is so free. In truth, she exudes sunshine.

Sage and I have many special moments together, like her squirming on the bed with me in the mornings, like us sitting on the big chair just cuddling or listening to her talk with tears streaming down her cheeks about how her BFF is no longer her BFF.

Me and Andrew's favorite Sage time is our "Tickle Time", which usually happens after school. This is usually what happens: I pick her up from the bus stop, and ask what she wants to do when she gets home, which she usually says: Tickle time! And even if she has a play date with a neighbor, she tells them that she needs her tickle time with her mama first before going to play. Our tickle time is pretty simple, it means that she gets tickled to death by me, and only when she says: "Ok, now armpits time." can I actually tickle her armpits, which is the highlight for the tickler. Because she just curls into a ball and laughs until she run out of breath.

She recently told me she has "three wobbly teeth." I don't know if she really has three, but for sure she has one that is wobbly.
I don't think I am ready for her to grow up yet.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

She cracks me up!
Oh my gosh, I hate being tickled!! ...but I do like to tickle my kids and they seem to like it, I mean they laugh the whole time :)

Carol said...

I don't know why but this commical entry made me a little teary!!

You and Sage sound a bit like that with Cadey and me, in some ways. As cliche as it might sound, I just love them so much!! Just want to give you a hug, you and your beautiful family :).

Valerie said...

Love this post! I love how you just accept your children and rejoice in their uniqueness! Sage reminds me alot of Alyssa. Maybe we can get them together this summer.

Belinda said...

I enjoyed so much reading these ordinary tender moments. It reminds me of our tender moments with our kids. Jacob (my baby) who is almost 8 comes and gets in bed with us early in the morning. Our boys like to "fight" which is really wrestling. These moments don't last, they grow up way to fast & before long they are not snuggling with you in bed anymore. Thanks for sharing.

My Blog List