Tis Woe when there is no food in the house
I bought a bake-at-home pie from a local orchard for my eagerly awaiting, pie-deprived children, after removing the cookie sheets I had stored inside the oven, I proceeded to warm it up. I noticed as the oven was warming up, it was venting a little bit of smoke, I didn't give it much thought. Once the oven was ready and as I was putting the pie in, there laying at the bottom of the oven was a pool of pink goo, and long streaks of melted pink plastic was dripping down from the oven rack.
By then all the smoke started getting worse, I have a super sensitive fire alarm, it started to beep and announced in its high pitched voice: "Fire, fire" non stop. I rushed to opened all the windows and grabbed a kitchen chair and a magazine, put the chair right under the alarm and frantically fanned it to hush it.
The kids were smarter under pressure, they brought out a real fan and started blowing towards the alarm. By then the house smelled like burned plastic, the air started to fill with smoke, amidst all this, I still thought maybe it was ok to still bake the pie!! After some deliberation, I decided to use the self clean feature to clean the oven first.
Proud with how clever I was, I knew we would have a pie in no time. A few minutes into putting the oven in the self clean mode, it then really looked like my house was on fire, with thick smoke coming out of the vent. It felt like a jungle in my home, it was sticky, hot and foggy, it would have been the full rain forest experience if we only waited for the sprinkler to turn on.
Proud with how clever I was, I knew we would have a pie in no time. A few minutes into putting the oven in the self clean mode, it then really looked like my house was on fire, with thick smoke coming out of the vent. It felt like a jungle in my home, it was sticky, hot and foggy, it would have been the full rain forest experience if we only waited for the sprinkler to turn on.
I thought maybe it would get better in a little while, and it didn't. The house was so hot, I felt I was I was being roasted alive. To add to that, now the fire alarm not only says: " Fire, fire.", it also says "carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide"...
Needless to say, I turned the oven off and now all of my children were doing their best with their little arms fanning to quiet the alarm!! All this happened while my husband was still away for the summer, the pie was my treat to my fatherless children. So now they were whining as they realized there will be no pie that day or any time soon.
The next morning as I was ready to give the kids some milk for breakfast, it was not in the fridge. Puzzled, knowing I had milk just yesterday, I couldn't figure out where it went. Thinking I must have just missed it somewhere in the fridge and will go back to dig some more, I opened the pantry to get them some cereal... There it was, right in front of me, the milk sitting right there on the pantry shelf!
So we had no pie and no cereal! So sad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh dear! What was the pink thing melting in your oven? And what a waste of a pie! So sad.
Mike would just die if he found the milk in the pantry. He can't stand to have the milk out for more than 5 seconds.
I laughed out loud, you know, at this one. Sally said, "What's so funny?" I couldn't quite explain it...
What a COOL fire alarm you have!!! Thanks for sharing your blog with me. Blogging can be a great outlet! Somedays I'm so annoyed, frustrated, etc that I blog about it and then I feel better. Seriously! Oh, and you know that you don't have to post everything you blog right. Some posts I never publish but I still plan on including in the blog book at the end of the year. It was good talking to you at the church yesterday. I just wish I had more time to chat. Softball ended up being lots of fun! :)
I am so sorry about the pie incident. I am glad that you gave me your blog website, I will add it to my list.
Post a Comment