More Sage ~S'il vous plaît

Some of you have inquired about Sage’s noticeable absence from the blog. Here she is as requested. You can tell she is well and very much alive…I think I need to find her a hobby. OR find me a different job!


Daily dialogue of a 3 year old and her mom:

9:00 am: MUMMMM, Can I have some candy please? Some candy please?
9:01am: I want some candy. I want some candy please.
9:03am: Can I have some bubble gum?
9:04am: No, Sage. You’re gonna die eating only candy.
9:04am: I won’t die, I will just eat one.
9:04am: Can I have some bubble gum? Pink! No, No, purple!
9:04am: I want some purple bubble gum….
9:05am: No, Sage. Let’s read some books…
9:05am: (Her eyes lit up) Then I can have some bubble gum?






10:00am: MUMMMM, I want some candy please.
10:01am: MUMMMM, I want some candy please.
10:01am: (Rolling on the floor in agony calling out) candy, candy.
10:01am: (Still on the floor, but arms reaching upward  - must be seeing some candy hallucination - and crying out) candy, candy.
10:02am: (Fake sobs) candy, candy.
10:02am: (Being rocked by mom)...
10:03am: (With tears glisten on lashes and saying it very softly) Mommy, can I please have some candy? (And softer) Candy? (Even softer) Candy?
                                                    
Below is a picture of Happy Sage who got her way




11:00am: Can I please have some peaches?
11:00am: Ok, you can have some peaches. (Much relieved at the change of conversation, mom takes out some fresh peaches from the fridge)
11:01am: No, no, not that peach. I want yellow peaches.(Referring to canned peaches)
11:02am: No, you can’t have those. You can have these.
11:02am: (Enter wailing and foot stomping) I want yellow peaches. I want yellow peaches.
11:03am: Sage, you can only have this kind. You can’t have yellow peaches. Do you still want it?
11:03am: (Sniffling, looking at mom with contempt)...
11:04am: Ok, I guess you don’t want any. (Putting down the peaches)
11:04am: (Silence)
11:05am: (Silence continues with furrowed brows and pouting lips)
11:06am: I want candy. No, No, I want bubble gum! Purple bubble gum!
11:06am: MUMMMM, I want purple bubble gum.
11:06am: MUMMMM, I want purple bubble gum.
11:07am: (Mom puts herself in timeout.)

Such dialogue goes on All Day Long.
Every Minute!
                         
EVERY!
                                       
       SINGLE!
                                                          
               Day!




I was busy for a minute one day and forgot to keep my eye on Sage. When I turned around, this is what I found:







Luckily, I think I am out of candy... and then here comes Halloween!!


6 comments:

Jill said...

This sounds just like our house and you should have seen our dental bill. I just have to keep the house void of candy. As for Halloween, I tell them they can have a certain amount everyday until it's gone, but while they're sleeping I throw out a little at a time until in unperceptibily all gone! It works everytime.

Kirsten said...

Ummm . . . I have the same conversations with Elena all day every day!! Maybe they'll grow out of it?

Shauna said...

This is super funny, and I like the fact that you give yourself timeouts. I think I'm going to need to try that sometime soon.

Were you able to find any new jeans today? I hope you had some good luck!

Unknown said...

For a while there I thought I was the only one with a 3-yr-old like this... WHEW!

PS After the party the other day I went to Safeway... Remember your soup? I will tell you about it later.

Stan said...

At least she asks please. You have taught her well. When they get sick it is a good lesson on why we don't eat candy. I think I am going to do some sort of barter ing for their Halloween candy. Maybe we will skip the whole trick or treating and replace it with some sort of grand activity.

Valerie said...

When I first read this story, I didn't think I could relate. I never buy candy, so it's not an issue. But then last night, the strangest thing happened. Audrey had been given a half a bag of skittles from Graton's co-worker, and had put it in a little box. When she went to find it later that evening, it was empty. We couldn't figure out what had happened. Then we considered the facts: 1) Alyssa hadn't eaten dinner, but instead had run around in circles dancing and singing for 30 minutes straight, 2)When we asked her if she knew where the skittles were, she pointed to her mouth. 3) Her breath smelled like skittles. It was pretty funny to see her do an impressive impersanation of the energizer bunny for about 2 hours!

My Blog List