When in doubt, always consult the "Expert"!
Recently, I subscribed to Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day. They send me a word a day to supposedly make me smarter.
I remember getting the very first word, it was 'defile'. Oh, I know that word, thought I. I feel smart today!
Then the next day, this word 'jacquerie' came. It means a peasant's revolt. Do any of you know this word? I hope your reaction is the same as mine, which is "Huh?"
Then the next day, they send me 'daedal'. I gave it the same affirming reaction: "Huh?"
Then came 'irenic", but instead of saying "huh?" It was "Are you kidding me!!"
The next day after that, the word was 'bibelot'. It means: a small household ornament or decorative object, trinket.
Hello!!! Merriam and Webster, we simply just called that ornament or a waste of money or Christmas!!!
By now, I was a little upset. They send their words out way early in the mornings, and words such as "dumb", "ignorant", "unlearned" are not what you wanted to be feeling about yourself first thing in the morning!!
The next day, I got the word 'comminute', meaning: to reduce to minute particles; pulverize.
Maybe I can actually put that word to good use when I am making smoothie for the kids. I even thought it up already. Here is what I will say: Hey kids, let's make some smoothies with apples, oranges, grapes and yogurt and see this contraption (point to the blender), we are going to dump all the fruit in it and 'comminute' them, ok!!.
Note:
You would never guess, as I was doing the spell check, guess what words got highlighted? I will tell you, all of Merriam and Websters! That means the 20th century computer spell check doesn't recognize words such as jacquerie, daedal, bibelot and you guessed it, comminute!! Who would've thought!!!! Oh, that's why Merriam -Webster are the experts of English words.
Isn't the definition of the word "expert" meaning someone with special knowledge or skill that no one else can relate to or understand?
I am eager to see what I shall get from Merriam and Webster tomorrow morn - I am getting giddy just thinking about it!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are hilarious (arousing great merriment or extremely funny). Seriously you crack me up with all your Merriam-Webster words. I am proud of you for keeping up on educating yourself. Before long your will sound like a brainiac (I don't know if that is a word - it just sounded good). Keep us posted on your quest. I think I am about ready to get caught up on blogging again. Don't hold your breathe though.
I would unsubscibe to that right now! No normal person uses those words in real life, and people who do are big nerds, weirdos. (those are real words). Who need that kind of agrivation?
Ok so I used to subscribe to the word of the day...until I got words like that. I'm an English Literature major and I don't know some of them, so definitely don't feel bad. Oh, and don't tell anyone there are words I don't know. ;)
Post a Comment