Trip to Philadelphia
My husband has a few days off before flying out to Guyana for two weeks, I seized the oppurnity to arrange for this family day trip to Philadelphia. I love living in this part of the country, it's never too far from history and interesting culture.
I love history and old buildings, well, I love food more, but this trip was all about history and architecture, I am learning to not make food a priority on every trip.
I don't in particular have anything profound to say about this trip, other than I love America, sometimes I think I love this country more than some born and raised Americans.
My son didn't really catch on with my merry spirit, he kept saying: "This trip is boring...except for the ice cream." The kids enjoyed visiting the US Mint, it's fun to see so many unique coin designs. They had ice cream TWICE in one day and had some really really cold, ice-filled water on this very muggy day. I don't think they should have much to complain about.
Well, at least I enjoyed it, this trip ended up to be very fulfilling for me, our GPS took us to a rural part of the country on the way to Philadelphia, and again, took us to a different route on the way home. And both times, I saw homes and buildings that still retain their old charm. It kind of gets me in a melancholy and romantic mood.
My very favorite part of the trip was visiting a strip of townhomes called Elfreth's Alley that are supposed to be the oldest residental homes in America. I can't believe there are people still living there today. The homes are arranged in two rows with a charming cobble stone road separating them. The alley is only about a block long, tucked away behind bigger buildings and busy streets. But it manages to stay so sweet and beautiful, and the homes are loved and cared for.
Don't you wish sometimes that the world would stand still and doors would have no locks and when it's time to eat, everyone in the neighborhood would come out and share food together while the kids play!?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I do wish that the world would stand still but then again the millenium sounds like a great place to live in. You finally got a GPS, yeah! We knew with your sense of direction that was a must. I would love to come and visit with Jill sometime. I have another friend that lives in Virginia. I feel a trip coming on.
I'm jealous that you are so close to all of that. I really want to take a couple of good trips out that way to visit all the places. Someday...maybe when Kendall actually has a job and an income. :)
You make me proud to be an American and I wish I could be walking those streets with you.
Post a Comment